Sunday 15 February 2009

Kellerman and son

I've just finished reading The Brutal Art by Jesse Kellerman, a crime novel about an art dealer in New York uncovering a century old secret. I enjoyed it, although the first quarter was by far the best. It got a little muddled in the middle and the ending was delivered in a series of short denouements that fell a bit flat after the early promise. The Brutal Art is on the Richard and Judy bookclub list, so I guess it's got a high profile over here. Higher, perhaps, than his father's crime books. I first read Jonathan Kellerman a couple of years ago, and have enjoyed watching the incremental improvements in his novels as each new one is published. Rage, which I read recently, was a great book. Clever, layered, full of character-driven plot twists. Not a wasted word in there, and the pace was maintained throughout. Jesse is following in some big shoes, and kudos to him for striding out on his own. His mother, Faye, is also a crime writer, but I've not read any of her books. (The opening chapters to one were published at the back of Rage, and I didn't like her style nearly as much as his.)

A crime novel about the dark world of art - what an excellent idea! Publishers (and agents) please take note.

7 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Must agree about the Faye Kellerman novels - I just can't read more than five pages without giving up the will to live entirely ...

==:O

Axxx

Sarah Hilary said...

Have you read any of Jonathan K? He has a gay slob of a detective called Milo whom I like a lot.

Anne Brooke said...

Yes, I started off liking the Milo stories, but got quickly irritated with that criminal sidekick of his who acts like a deus ex machina and always always always gets him out of trouble - it becomes hugely dull! (am I even on the right series here?? does this actually make sense???!)

I'm obviously losing it ...

==:O

Axxx

Sarah Hilary said...

No that must be another series, I think, Anne! Milo hangs around with Alex, a child psychologist, who is the main hero of the Kellerman stories I'm talking about. Now I'm intrigued by which series you mean..!

Gay Degani said...

Glas you mention Jonathon Kellerman gets better because I abadoned him early on. I think I'll read the one you mention and give him another chance. I don't like the wife's books and never got past the first couple pages. Never heard of Jesse.

It's so true how so many books start out gangbusters and the fizzle out. Tons of them. And you know what I think the problem is: lack of understanding story structure.

Sarah Hilary said...

I definitely rate RAGE as one of his best. I love the way he writes the whole sub cast of characters they unearth along the way.

Anne Brooke said...

Ooh, gosh, I can't remember, Sarah!!! It's definitely a US author - that's all my brain can give me today ...

Axxx