Friday 18 May 2012

Early warning

On June 21, which is the day after National Short Story Day, I'm the Special Guest at the Ragged Stone Open Mic event in Portishead. The venue is the Coco Cafe, which is in the marina, a lovely spot with free parking nearby. It's a 7.30pm kick-off and I've been told to expect an audience of 30-40, which seems to be a huge number, not that I'm nervous (much). I'm doing two 20 min slots during the evening, and there's the opportunity for the audience to take to the mic and read, which is even better.

Ragged Stone is run by Clive Birnie (a local poet and flash fiction writer) and Jo Carrington, who's head of English at St. Katherine's School and has had short stories read on R4 and published by various journals here and in the States.

This will be my first time as the headline act, so a bit daunting, but I'm looking forward to it. I've put together a pile of all the anthologies where my stories appear and it's a surprisingly large pile. I'm hoping to have copies of the new flash anthologies, Jawbreakers, and Kissing Frankenstein to sell on the night. Do please come along if you can. More info here.



2 comments:

Rin said...

Really hope to be able to make it to this Sarah! Your bravery has spurred me on, I may bring some of my flash...

Sarah Hilary said...

Thanks, Rin. It would be lovely to hear you read. Maybe your Flash Flood story that was so successful?