Thursday 23 October 2014

My Fictional Heroines (for the Richard & Judy Book Club)

Featuring Violette Retancourt, Connie James, Clarice Starling, Flea Marley and more. These are my top girl crushes of all time.
Marnie Rome walked fully formed into a story I was writing two years ago. She was undercover, in biker boots and a black wig, but she was unquestionably Marnie. I recognised her at once. Later, I came to realise how many secrets she was hiding. And I came to realise that she owed a debt, in part at least, to my fictional heroines from page and TV. Not everyone on this list shares a character trait with Marnie Rome, but they are all women who’ve stayed in my head (and my heart) long after I’ve stopped reading and watching.

2 comments:

N. L. Lumiere said...

Flea Marley? FLEA? What a wonderful wonderful name. I'm off to read Mo Hayder immediately. Thanks for mentioning Flea.

Sarah Hilary said...

She's Phoebe but everyone calls her Flea. She first appears in Skin, and Ritual, two of Mo Hayder's books set in Bristol. Enjoy!