Thursday 20 May 2010

Bristol Short Story Prize

The longlist for the Bristol Prize has just been published, and I'm thrilled to find my name among so many I know and admire, including Frances Gapper and Elizabeth Baines. Now I must do my best to forget all about this and concentrate on other things, namely the novel. A good friend of mine and a great YA author, Elizabeth Wein, wisely said that wishing or hoping too hard for a thing often scares it away. Much better to enjoy the moment (only 40 entries out of nearly 1,500 made it to the longlist) and forget all about it.

6 comments:

Vanessa Gebbie said...

Lots of congrats, and fingers formly crossed!

Sarah Hilary said...

Thanks, V! And also for the tip-off re the Asham Award's theme, which has me very excited! Are you a judge, or a reader, or both?

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Wonderful news, Sarah! Congratulations! :)

Sarah Hilary said...

Thanks, Madeline!

Jenzarina said...

Huge congratulations!
I didn't make the longlist so I am wildly jealous, but your story must have been utterly sublime to make it through to such a prestigious longlist. All my fingers are crossed for you :)

Sarah Hilary said...

Aw, thanks, Jen! I don't know about sublime but I am glad it made it that far.