Sunday 21 August 2011

Shorts and flashes

I've been reading and reviewing a lot of crime novels lately, as my previous blog post suggests. But not just novels. Short stories, too. My review of The Mammoth Book of Best British Crime is just up at Reviewing the Evidence:

Of the many reasons to love short stories, the one that packs the best punch is surprise. A novel might serve up two, or at best three, genuine gobsmacking surprises over four hundred pages. A good short story will deliver at least one, sometimes two. Over a collection like this, that's a minimum of forty surprises.

Find out which story was my favourite, and which was totally bonkers by popping across to read.

In writing news, my very short flash, Spring, is up at new venue The Night Light. It's a terrific site with lovely editors. Do send them your work if you think it's a good fit.



No comments: