Monday 19 September 2011

Quick round-up

My review of The Track of Sand by Andrea Camilleri is up at Reviewing the Evidence today. This was my first encounter with Inspector Montalbano, and I had mixed feeling about it. Nice descriptions of grub, though.

In other news, I have a quick flash with a fairytale theme over at Every Day Fiction today: The Cottage in the Woods may tickle your funny-bone, or so I hope.

And I'm making my debut in Stalking Elk magazine, issue three, with my short story, Yesterday's Man. The editor tells me there's a smashing illustration accompanying the story, so I can't wait to get my print copies.



4 comments:

ajcap said...

Loved "The Cottage in the Woods" at EDF, and so glad I investigated your blog. I've published a couple of stores at EDF and I also review at thegenreview.com.

I am Canadian, born of English parents, and as soon as my boss leaves for lunch plan on finding out if Bristol is anywhere near Smallthorne, S-O-T.

Cheers, ajcap

Sarah Hilary said...

Thanks, AJ. Smallthorne isn't near Bristol but it's not far from my home town in Cheshire. Nice to know you!

Maxine Clarke said...

The later Camilleris are not as good or charming as the earlier ones, I find (I've read them all so far). There are some nice "story arcs" in the earlier books, eg the food, the Snack Thief and the intro/development of mimi and Catarella. The plots are often a bit perfunctory. The translations, and the associated notes, are superb I think - esp i the English, as opposed to US, editions (I've read some of each).

Sarah Hilary said...

Thanks, Maxine, that's interesting. Good to know.