Sunday 18 May 2008

Flash fiction


I've just finished the first draft of a new flash fic for this week's WriteWords challenge. Shout out to fellow blogger, Tania Hershman, who set the challenge. Tania asked for a story in 300 words where, taken together, the first letter of each sentence spelled out FLASH.


Terrific challenge, and one I recommend to all writers out there. The trick is to allow the discipline (choosing words with the right letters) to lead you through the story. If I wasn't tone-deaf I'd liken the experience to composing a piece of music. It's a cast-iron guarantee against block, too. Most fun I've had writing in yonks. Thanks, Tania!

4 comments:

Tania Hershman said...

So glad it worked for you, I think I might have a go myself, even though that's not what the challenge-setter usually does. I totally agree with you that tight restrictions so often bring out something magical, that's how I feel about flash in general. Adhering to a specific poetic form must be a bit like that too. Thanks for the blog post!

Sarah Hilary said...

Definitely give it a spin, Tania. It's a wizard challenge.

Peter Rozovsky said...

I want to see the results! I like the idea of the challenge and of the discipline I suspect it imposes.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Sarah Hilary said...

Thanks, Peter. I'm endeavouring to find a home for it and will post again when/if it makes it into print.