Wednesday 8 October 2008

Gutted

This just in from Fish Publishing - they've cancelled the Fish Knife Award for 2009 due to lack of entries. I was so excited about entering this for the first time, and worked hard to get my story good enough. Damn. Now I have to find a new venue. All suggestions welcome - it's a crime short story. I hope this doesn't mean Fish is going to dump other categories. I do understand their reasoning - they have to protect a certain standard if the winners are to feel they've achieved something - but all the same. Damn.

ETA: They've just cancelled the Criminally Short Histories Award, for the same reason. That's the category I won last year, and for which I'd entered several pieces this year. Double damn.

5 comments:

Gay Degani said...

Dang!!! Well there are markets out there. I'm going to check on some stuff. I'll try and get back to you. Oh. Writers digest has a short shorts contest deadline coming up. Glimmer train....

Sarah Hilary said...

Thanks, Gay. Only one is a short story (2,000 words) and that's crime. The rest are crime and/or historical, nothing longer than 250 words. I'll drop you an email.

Tania Hershman said...

I am so GUTTED too! They canceled the Fish Short Histories as well. My first time entering the Criminally Short Short Histories.... not much else I can do with the story, eh? Let's sob together.

Sarah Hilary said...

Those who sob together, sub together. Tania, we should find new homes for our stories asap. I have a note to plan a strategy for re-subbing next week. If I find any good venues, I'll let you know.

Anonymous said...

That's sad news, Sarah. I hope you find somewhere to place your stories.

Cheers,
Bob