Sunday 4 October 2009

A new month

I do like October. Everything's another colour, the light is different; it's impossible to look at things the way you did in August, or even in September. The sun on the water of the river takes me to work and back again. I'm busy, very busy, but it's good. I'm thriving, and hope you are all doing the same. Little to report otherwise, unless it's that I have a flash coming up in Every Day Fiction in a week's time. I'll post a link when it is up. Poetry, perhaps? I love this one by Charles Simic.

On the first page of my dreambook
It’s always evening
In an occupied country.
Hour before the curfew.
A small provincial city.
The houses all dark.
The storefronts gutted.

I am on a street corner
Where I shouldn’t be.
Alone and coatless
I have gone out to look
For a black dog who answers to my whistle.
I have a kind of Halloween mask
Which I am afraid to put on.


Charles Simic, “Empire of Dreams” from Selected Early Poems. © 1999 by Charles Simic

3 comments:

Gay Degani said...

Nice. Made my morning.

Sarah Hilary said...

Thanks, Gay. The poem, do you mean? It's kind of spooky, but I like it. Bet you saw some brilliant autumn colour in Vermont..?

Sarah Hilary said...

Thanks, RK. Love your pic!