Friday 22 January 2010

Sense Creative Writing Awards

I've been on a couple of shortlists lately, but this one is special. Sense is a charity that campaigns on behalf of deafblind people. In March this year they will host an award ceremony at the Geffrye Museum where Miriam Margolyes will read excerpts from the winning stories. I've been shortlisted in the category, 'writing by any individual on the subject of deafblindness', for my story, A Shanty for Sawdust and Cotton. There are four awards for writing by deafblind people, and I'm excited to hear the winning pieces.

14 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Congratulations, Sarah! I remember reading that story and enjoying it.

Sarah Hilary said...

Thank you, Madeline! It was first story I wrote after a brief hiatus in the middle of last year, so I am pleased to see it doing well. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Gay Degani said...

The honors are just rolling in these days. Sarah, you are on the brink....

CONGRATS!!!

Sarah Hilary said...

Thanks, Gay, I'm glad this story's doing well - thanks for your enthusiasm about it, right from the first draft.

Vanessa Gebbie said...

Hi Sarah, wow, well done you. That story is working hard! Fingers crossed...

Sarah Hilary said...

Thanks, V!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I remember that story very well; so evocative and kindly. Well done.

Sarah Hilary said...

Thank you, Belantana, I'm glad you enjoyed the story so much.

Rivers Fic said...

That is fantastic news! I cannot wait to hear about the ceremony. I love that story.

Sarah Hilary said...

Thank you, S! x

Tania Hershman said...

Wonderful news, Sarah! Congrats and fingers crossed for you.

Dr L said...

You must be attaining minor celebrity status in the world of flash fiction, no? Congratulations! Your hard work is paying off.

Sarah Hilary said...

Thanks, Tania! How's things with you? Lots of Bristol-based publishing news to discuss, when you've got time for lunch.

Sarah Hilary said...

Thanks, Lisa! I don't know about celebrity. There are lots of people doing it much better than me, but you're right about the hard work...