Friday 18 July 2008

Nice news

I've just received two of the fastest ever acceptances, both from a new venue for me, Ink Sweat & Tears, and for stories I'm really fond of.

The first, Passing on (homage to Hemingway), is a modern day response to the famous baby shoes story.

The second, After a long illness, quietly at home, follows a structure whereby each sentence starts with a consecutive letter spelling out F-L-A-S-H.

So two stories, each in its own way a tribute to this terrific discipline called flash fiction. They'll be published as a pair in about a month's time. I'm chuffed to bits.

6 comments:

Nik Perring said...

Congratulations, Sarah - aren't quick responses the most wonderful (and rare) of things?

Nik

Sarah Hilary said...

Thanks, Nik! You betcha. We were emailing so fast it was like actually having a real conversation with someone who liked my stuff!

How the heck are you, by the way? Still hobbling?

Nik Perring said...

Nice moments them, aren't they? They can remind you (well, they do me) that editors can be so helpful, get what you're doing, AND are, on occasion, human! ;)

I'm much better thank you very much. Ditched the crutches a couple of days ago and hobbling much less. Still on the sntibiotics though.

How's your bro?

N

Sarah Hilary said...

I'm glad you're off the crutches. My brother came out of hospital on Thursday, having been in the best part of a week. The antibiotics worked on one bit of his swollen leg but then it started swelling somewhere else, so they had to keep an eye on him. Luckily he got in there before the real pain had a chance to bite.

Nik Perring said...

Goodness, the poor thing! Truly hope he's on the mend. It can't half hit you hard. Very best wishes to him.

I'm not usre what he's been told, but when I went back and saw the doc on Monday she told me I had to take Nurofen (on any anti-inflams) consistantly for a week. And eating plenty of prebiotic yoghurt helped with the horrid feeling the antibiotics give you.

Nik

Sarah Hilary said...

Thanks, Nik, that's good to know. I'll pass it on. x