Monday 24 November 2008

The house of books has no windows

This is a piece of art by Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller commissioned by Modern Art Oxford and the Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh. 5,000 books glued together as bricks to make a house you can step inside. The smell inside is wonderful, of starch and paper. But I wanted to take it apart and READ. Today I wrote four pieces of short fiction in just under three hours. I'd pledged to write three pieces within three hours. All four stories were written to prompts provided by a writer's forum. The prompts were excellent, thought-provoking and meaty. The forum is pledged to write a total of 100 stories within two days and looks set to achieve that target. Each story is posted anonymously and then commented on by the other writers. For each story you post you must comment on at least three stories by others.

The process works very well, smooth and seamless. It was the first time I'd taken part at this particular forum, which includes some stellar writers, and I'll admit I was nervous. But once I'd pledged to take part, which I did on Friday, I relaxed that part of my brain where I keep a tight lid on the voices that are always bubbling under waiting for me to pay attention to the stories they want to tell. I let three voices rise to the surface and let these three check the prompt lists until they found something that suited. Then I wrote. The fourth voice came direct from the prompt itself which is I suspect how I was meant to approach the whole exercise.

It's been interesting to see how other writers critiqued the stories, not just mine but everyone's. These are serious writers, many of them award-winning. They had serious comments to make about the stories posted at the forum. What interested me most was a tendency to read the stories not as tales being told to them but as tales they would have told differently. They read, in other words, as writers rather than readers. I went back and checked my own critiques. I did the same. We are nearly all of us reading in this way, seeing a story we would like to tell and nudging the author in that direction. This is not to say that the comments aren't useful and constructive. They are. But I made a mental note to put my writer's hat aside and read as a reader, keeping my own ego out of it. (I mean ego in the true sense rather than as vanity, although god knows I suffered some serious pen-envy reading some of those stories!)

All in all, a great day's work. I thoroughly enjoyed the writing, the reading and the taking part. Congratulations to all the writers who participated - expect to see the fruits of these labours in print soon.

11 comments:

Gay Degani said...

Pretty amazing achievement. Just when I think I might actually be working at a higher level, you pick up the pace!!! Sarah, you are truly an inspiration! Keep it up.

K.C. Ball said...

Point the way, Sarah, and we will follow.

Frances said...

You are an excellent reader and critic, Sarah. Reading your comments on my story attempts produced for the blastette has reminded me just how good you are.

Sarah Hilary said...

Thanks, Gay (and I love what you wrote to the prompt!). KC, you're too kind - you're doing a fair bit of pointing yourself.

Sarah Hilary said...

Thank you, Frances, that's reassuring. I think I may know the story you wrote (one of my favourites) but I'll keep quiet in case I'm wrong. It was a really intense day yesterday, the writing and the reading. I enjoyed it.

Tania Hershman said...

It sounds like you really enjoyed the Blastette, Sarah. I was sad I couldn't join in but it was my last day at the retreat and I was tralvelling all day yesterday. I participated in several of them during my Workhouse time, and was delighted with a lot of what came out for me, some really strange writing, odd, quirky! Amazingly, quite a few of the flashes have been published. Well done to you all!

PS I love that book house... I understand your urge to dismantle and read!

Sarah Hilary said...

Thanks, Tania, hopefully you'll make the next blastette? It was - a blast? Am I allowed to say that?!

Vanessa Gebbie said...

Hi Sarah, it was really good to write alongside you again! I was surprised at what appeared, after breaking the wall by linking almost all the prompts in a long list into one very very stupid story... the work started flowing.. poems, and flashes and even one longer story!

Of course, it's a writers' forum, so I guess we were critquing as writers... not changing the stories, but pointing out the flaws as we saw them. But you are right. The average reader couldnt care less.

Its impossible to read now without a writer's hat on I find!

Sarah Hilary said...

Thanks, Vanessa, and I enjoyed every moment of it also (thanks for making me part of that great crowd) - including the ongoing reading and plans!

Douglas Bruton said...

Sometimes I lose my way with flashing... read so many that just don't satisfy and left feeling cheated and waiting for the main course... then this happens... and it was intense... and some of the pieces were just sting-tasty fantastic and I am back into it again.

Have also been posting on Sarah Salway's project 'Your Messages'... 300 word flashes to a daily posted prompt... and that's been fun too.

I was so glad you were part of this Sarah and I hope you will be again. And I liked your stuff.

Best wishes

D

Sarah Hilary said...

I enjoyed it very much, Douglas, and thank you for the kind comments.