Thursday 11 September 2008

Beauty in strange places


I bought a copy of The New Scientist to read on the train home from London yesterday. The article that intrigued me most was accompanied by this image, of a rusted copper can containing the remains of a patient who died at an insane asylum in Salem. So many stories suggest themselves from this one image. Thank you to Tania for reminding me to dip into The New Scientist from time to time. I'm resolved to buy a different magazine each time I travel home from London. If anyone has any suggestions for good reading matter that might spark story ideas, please let me know.

4 comments:

Kevin Shamel said...

That's weird, horrid, and GREAT! Can't wait to see what burbles out of your brain about cans of people.

I like to read articles about weird news for ideas. Fortean Times, or just google weird news.

Science mags are great.

National Geographic is inspiring to me. Photos of things we'd never see ourselves.

Sarah Hilary said...

Hi Kevin, isn't it inspiring (in every sense)? The photographer has made a whole book of photos from these cans. Cool.

Tania Hershman said...

How delighted am I to have inspired you to turn to New Scientist! I really should be on commission....A fabulous image. There is so much to inspire in each issue, it's crazy!

Sarah Hilary said...

Hi Tania, yes you should definitely be on commission. I first picked up a copy free from my office sometime last year and was amazed how much I found to read in it (not being remotely 'switched on' to or by science, or so I thought). Your stories in The White Road prompted me to seek it out again, and I'm so glad I did.